Our Birth Story

Our due date, 11/9/09, had come and gone. Roman and I would walk forever around our house, the mall, anywhere to get the contractions going, but they always stopped when I stopped walking! So at our appointment, when my doctor offered to induce me due to really high blood pressure, Roman and I were ecstatic!
I got settled in at the hospital while he grabbed our hospital bags from home. They started me on Pitocin, and I could finally feel real contractions! But after 12 hours on the “vitamin P”, my labor wasn’t going anywhere!
My nurse gave me something to soften my cervix, let me eat (finally!), and said we would start the Pitocin back up at 4am. More waiting!
I remember waking up at 3:15 to my water breaking! I was sure I had peed! But as I stood up, my first real contraction hit, and I knew it was my water. As I pressed the nurse call button and told her my water broke, Roman woke up and was like “huh, water? OH!”
In that split second of time, I was already having horrible pain. What happened to easing into labor? I heard being induced would make for worse contractions, but this was unbearable and getting worse!!
I hopped in the jet tub to find relief (no help!!) while Roman started calling EVERYONE! The jets weren’t helping as much as I had hoped, and at this point I think I was losing it, cause I told Roman that I wanted the epidural (NOW!!) or I was going home. (right…) Roman calmed me down and got me back to the bed while everything got set up.
I remember feeling like I was loosing it. This was not how I pictured it going! I wanted to go natural for my baby! But the other side of me was going to kill that anestheseologist if he didn’t shut up and shove that needle in. I don’t need a fricken mile long explanation, just give me the fricken pen, where do I sign? 🙂
Within a minute, my pain had faded to nothing and we just had to sit and wait. Again.
My doctor and midwife had differing opinions on wether or not I should eat, but since I had ate 2 meals in 3 days, I took my midwife’s advice and ate light. Light as in 3 pancakes with butter and syrup, an English muffin, and a fruit bowl!
The time went by fast because EVERYONE was in our room to keep us company! (what happened to calling everyone after he was born??!) But around 10am, I could feel the urge to get the show on the road. Actually, I was sure I could feel the baby coming out! The nurse kicked everyone out and told me to stop pushing the epidural button, so I pressed it one more time for good measure!
I remember pushing and feeling like it was going nowhere. I remember the pain slowly creeping back. I remember I wanted to go home! But Roman kept reassuring me, and I kept pushing. I remeber the nurse saying a typical first labor is long, and I could be pushing for hours. (don’t tell me that!! WTF!) I kindof remember trying out other birthing positions, but as soon as I would move, Chazz’s heart rate would drop. I tried to get on all fours to relieve some pain, my epi had pretty much worn off, but again the heart rate dropped. I remember them putting on my oxygen mask and letting me rest. The pain was getting intolerable again. It was like cramps, but the pain radiated thru my hip bones, and was dull and achy and sharp at the same time. I couldn’t concentrate on pushing when I was sure I was dying!! I wanted to push my epi button again! Libbi told me it would slow down labor, but if I needed it, push it! Again the pain melted, and I had to try so hard not to fall asleep!
I didn’t push with the next 2 contractions to rest. Then I pushed as hard as I could, and roman told me he could see the head! It had hair! That was all I needed to hear, and within the next couple pushes, our son was born!

Chazz Dallen
November 14th, 2009
11:19 am
7 lbs 5.6 oz
19 1/2 inches


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: